30 January 2012

Chaser Profile: Tom Purdy

TOM PURDY

* Tom Purdy enjoying life outside of chasing *
1) What is your name and where do you live?

My name is Tom Purdy, I live in Janesville, Wisconsin

2) Do you have a website or a brand name that people identify you as? 


Currently no website but I do have a youtube page wich is "Badgerfan81"

3) What got you interested in weather?

My interest was actually sparked by fear from a younger age. I remember being about 5-6 years old and the power going out in an overnight thunderstorm, the fear was so intense in me I literally peed my pants. 

4) What is your favorite aspect of weather?

The fact that it is ever changing, there is no "normal" when it comes to weather. You always have to be on your toes.

5) When did you first start chasing?

November 22nd 2010 was my 1st official chase.

6) What do you see chasing as... a hobby or a business?

For me right now it is a hobby. 

7) Who do you credit for getting you into chasing and what have they done to further your career?
 

There are several people That I give credit to, 1st would be my brother for pushing me to go after it before he left to join the USAF. Then id have to give credit to Adam Lucio, Danny NeaL and Jim Sellars for answering all my questions and being more that willing to take the time and explain and teach me all about weather. 

8) Do you have any chase partners?

Not per se, I have chased with a few different people but none I call partners completely, in 2012 I will be partering more with a gentleman that is also getting started.

9) What is your most successful chase?
 

I would have to say July 27th 2011, even though we didnt see the tornado after running out of daylight, it was a huge moral victory to nail the forecast. the storm we were on did produce 2 tornadoes.

10) What is your most terrifying moment?

Being in golfball size hail and torrential rains in the mountains near Custer, SD visibility was nearly non existent and the roads were slick as ice.

11) About how many tornadoes have you seen?

While chasing I have seen an astonishing 0 but i have seen 3 in my lifetime.

12) What do you think about people who chase for sales and the need to get up close and personal with Mother Nature?

as far as sales, to each his own, I cant say id turn down any money so im neither for nor against it. As far as up close and personal, I fully get that, I also love the rush of being right there.

13) Describe your dream chase.

As odd as it may be, my dream chase would be to bag my 1st tornado in my home state on a slight risk day. Just a tube tearing up a cornfield is my dream.

14) What is your favorite set up to chase?

It would have to be a strong low pressure with a potent WF, I love playing the warm fronts 

15) Which state has brought you the most success? Least success?

As in terms of some of my favorite chases so far id have to say Illinois, it has been good to me. Really dont have a least spot yet.

16) Do you want to pursue a career in meteorology? Would you ever chase locally for a t.v station?

As much as I love forecasting, I dont think id want to be a meteorologist. I absolutely would chase for a local T.V> station at this point. I think some of the best exposure starts locally.

17) What do you see chasing as being like in 5-10 years?

Its hard to tell, as with anything I still think you will have people that are very passionate out there doing it. As technology advances and social media gets bigger, there will likely be more people doing it.

18) Despite all the deaths and destruction in 2011, are you looking forward to chasing in 2012 knowing you can run into a Tuscaloosa or Joplin?

I am looking forward to it very much! I dont think anyone expects to run into a Joplin or Tuscaloosa but I have the belief that no matter what we say, what we do or what we know, we can never change what mother nature does and have to take the good with the bad in this activity.

19) Is there any point in time where you had no desire to chase anymore? What caused that and what gave you the power to move on?

I have never wanted to actually quit, I have gotten frustrated at times with choosing the wrong storm but never enough to lose any desire.

20) How long do you plan on continuing chasing?

I plan on doing it as long as I can. As long as I am healthy and my family is healthy and I have the means to do it, ill be doing it 

21) Outside of chasing storms, what do you like to do?

Outside of chasing I love being outdoors. Fishing, hunting camping, etc. I am also a huge sports fan and go to as many sporting events as possible. I also love spending time with my family.




* Severe thunderstorms near Custer, SD July 2011
* Mammatus from Supercell near Custer, SD July 2011
What Tom has to say:

Its been great to get to know people that share a common interest. Like many of you I am just an ordinary guy that has an unordinary passion. I like to laugh, joke and have a good time. As people have helped me to learn over the past couple of years, I am more than willing to help others learn the best I can. I look forward to meeting some of yall in 2012. Good luck and stay safe! Also feel free to follow me on Twitter @TomPurdyWI 



No comments:

Post a Comment